The role of the digital revolution in accelerating Asia’s economic growth
A new wave of digital innovation is reshaping Asia and transforming industries from financial services, retail, manufacturing and more.
In recent times, Asia has been hailed as an innovation powerhouse due to the sheer scale of technological adoption amongst its vast population and the financial services sector that is evolving rapidly to serve them.
Significantly, this technological progress has brought about immense benefits by boosting productivity and growth while creating new jobs.
What more do we need to foster digital innovation within Asia? What opportunities and threats will flow to the ASEAN region and Malaysia specifically as a result of this wave of digital innovation?
- Dato’ Ng Wan Peng, Chief Operating Officer, Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation
- Craig Murray, Senior Growth and Innovation Manager, Asia Pacific Commercial Banking, HSBC
- Yuen Tuck Siew, CEO, Jirnexu
- Anshuman Singh, Partner, Financial Services, ASEAN, Ernst & Young LLP
- Karamjit Singh, Founder & CEO, Digital News Asia
Creating a sustainable future – the opportunities and risks for Asian enterprises
A rapidly changing climate represents a potent, unprecedented and irreversible threat to habitats, societies and economies around the globe.
As Asia grows in economic and demographic status, it can assume a lead position in combatting issues such as climate change and it is critical that the region seizes the sustainability opportunity during this phase of its development. Notably, the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) present Asia with an unprecedented opportunity to embrace this leadership role.
However, according to a HSBC commissioned report released in 2018, only 24% of Asian respondents have an ESG strategy compared to 48% of corporates globally and 87% of European and UK companies.
What are the regulatory frameworks required to enable this change? What are the potential opportunities and risks for Asian enterprises?
- Jonathan Drew, Managing Director, Infrastructure and Real Estate Group, Global Banking & Markets, HSBC
- Mohamed Rozani Osman, Financial Sector Specialist, World Bank
- Artak Melkonyan, Chief Operating Officer, UNDP SDG Impact Finance
- Arsalaan Ahmed, CEO, HSBC Amanah